Re: [at-l] First AT Footsteps

My uncle insists that when I climbed Mt Katahdin at eleven I declared I
would hike the AT.  I have no recollection of saying that, but I won't
argue with dear ol' Uncle Dave.

I do know that I began my hiking career in my forties and all my friends
asked me if I thought I would ever hike the AT (I called it the
Appalachian Trail back then).  I was happy hiking other trails and told
them I didn't think so.  Then a couple from our church (nephew to Earl
Shaffer) invited us to join them for a loop at Standing Indian.  We were
to join them their second day on the trail, but it snowed and they got
out.  Dan and I had plenty of warm clothes so we stayed.  We hiked to the
Georgia line and back.  It was in April so we joined two thru hikers in a
shelter (at that point I didn't understand what they were doing).   I was
hooked!

Gutsy