[at-l] Heavy snows in Maine (fwd)

Got this from ATC - and thought I would pass it along to the list:

We've had reports of unusually heavy snowfall in Maine from
MATC maintainers and Baxter State Park officials. As late as May 24
there was still 3-5' of snow in places, and some maintainers
said it was the most snow they'd ever seen this late in the
year.

Please advise any southbounders you talk to that they should
wait until mid June or preferable late June to start their hikes.
Not only will the snow linger in places, but the melting
snow will cause dangerous and potentially even impassible
stream crossings. Low elevations will be
muddy, mucky, or underwater; until the Trail dries out,
the treadway and adjacent flora will be susceptible to a lot of damage
by hiker traffic.

Thanks for passing this on.