Re: [at-l] Smokies

<<
 Anyway, we're planning on the Smokies in Oct. ... We're coming from FL.

 Trail guide for this section is fairly different from the rest of NC-GA in
 that there are few references to water and none to campsites. Are you
 restricted to only camp at shelters? (I know there are campsites in the
Park,
 but none listed along the Trail)

 Marshall (no trail name yet- waiting til it seems "right") >>

Marshall,
     I too live in Florida... This time of year I long to escape to the cool
mountains of NC.  My son and I spent last summer in the GSMNP.  One word of
advice, it is very cold there by mid-October.  We had tempatures in the 18*
range.  Pack for mild days and cold nights.

     As for the campsites, there are none.  The park has very strick rules
about camping.  You can only pitch a tent at a designated campsite.  There
are no campsites on the AT in GSMNP.
     Another word of advice, you must make reservations in advance.
 Reservations open up 30 days prior to the day you wish to use the shelter.
 You must reserve each shelter you plan to stay in.  On weekend days in
October, the shelters within 10 miles of Newfound Gap Road fill up very fast.
 Last year they were full for the third weekend in October by 8:15 on the
first reservation day.
     Reservation day is 30 days prior to the day you wish to camp.  For
example, if you wish to use the Mount Collins Shelter on October 11, you
cannot call prior to September 11.  But, since October 11 is a Saturday, it
will fill up very fast.  Better be ready with the speed-dial and be ready to
start dialing right at 8:00am.
Good Luck,
WayneHiker@aol.com
Wayne Brown