[at-l] Re: thruhikers vs weekenders

Michael Henderson writes:

> as much as i dislike the elitist-type thruhiker attitude that can rear its
> head, i have to admit that i was guilty of the same.  there IS a difference
> between a thruhiker and a short-term hiker, no matter how seasoned the
> short-term hiker.  i have experienced this every time i'm out hiking and
> spend time with thruhikers.  they are more atuned to the world through
> which they are travelling, more camp-efficient, more aware of the weather,
> etc, simply by virtue of their being out there in the middle of it for so
> long.  i'm always amazed at how much "sense" of the outdoors i've lost each
> time i "re-enter."

Although I haven't yet had the pleasure of the AT yet (most of my
"long" outings have been no longer than 7-10 days), but I certainly
agree with you that distance hikers must be in a different state of mind
(I'm not prepared to agree that they are necessarily more
camp-efficient, however). After having hiked the Long Range Mountains
in Gros Morne, Newfoundland, short though that may have been by AT
standards, I certainly did undergo an inexplicable change, and I did
sense a difference between me and the day-hikers climbing Gros Morne
Mountain. Of course, in talking with some of them, it turned out that
some of them had considerably more backcountry experience in
Newfoundland than I!

> still, having noted that i think there are differences, that is not an
> excuse for a thruhiker to feel or act superior to other hikers.  we're all
> just different hikers out there.  who knows, maybe that day hiker you're
> being aloof and insensitive to is next year's Curious George, who'll kick
> your butt as a thru hiker (if you're into the competitive thing :)  ).  you
> know what i mean, i hope.

This was my point, but you made it much better than I did.

Dick Hihn