[at-l] Hermann Hesse & Hiking

R R Neuswanger wrote:

>         I taught (Germanic everything, but especially
> baby language courses and Hermann Hesse) for twenty
> years in the universities of the Middle West before
> coming here -- mostly in places where I could and did
> readily get out into the woods and hike.

I'm a big Hesse fan ...

"Within Siddhartha there slowly grew and ripened the knowledge of what
wisdom really was and the goal of his long seeking.  It was nothing but
a preparation of the soul, a capacity, a secret art of thinking, feeling
and breathing thoughts of unity at every moment of life.  This thought
matured in him slowly, and it was reflected in Vasudeva's old childlike
face; harmony, knowledge of the eternal perfection of the world, and
unity." _Siddhartha_, Hermann Hesse

Does Hesse know hiking or what?
Tom Kreider
--