[at-l] Re: Ibugroovin'

TWEGAD...

 Painkillers mask Lyme disease (and others), which I found out the hard
way. Damn little bugger wasn't visible until the "bulls-eye" showed. Young
whipper-snapper Doctor in Winsor Connecticut gave me hell for NOT
recognizing the early symptoms (which can be withor without a rash):
   FATIGUE,
   HEADACHE,
   NECK STIFFNESS,
   PAIN or STIFFNESS in MUSCLES or JOINTS,
   SLIGHT FEVER,
   SWOLLEN GLANDS,
   CONJUNCTIVIS,
   JAW DISCOMFORT,
   or
   SWELLING or just PAIN in several joints;
 Sound familiar or have you already disguised something.??

 I was ONLY downing 800 mg of "Vit-I" in prior to taking off in the AM to
"make life easier".

 NET, NET, check your self very carefully,,, highest risk months are late
April thru August. Wood/Dog ticks also carry goodies, but they're easier to
find (even w/o bifocals).!

 take care,

  WIXer  AT-94
   aka

**** Rest of not is Bald Eagles memo. ****
**** left it attached, good info. ********

> [...]
>Want an example?  Read Waldo's  post again - or go look at his page.
>So -- you have pain?  Good - foot pain means you might need different
>boots, or orthotics, or to walk less miles, or to walk slower or maybe
>just to take care of your blisters.  Knee pain or shin splints?  Try
>learning
>to walk  - and the fact is that even a lot of thruhikers have never really
>learned that.  Or maybe you need a brace, or to dump some weight or to
>walk slower uphill - or downhill.  Back and/or shoulder pain?  Get your
>pack adjusted, or dump some weight, or maybe - again - learn to walk.
>Are there other answers?  Yeah - a lot of them, but you won't find them
>at the bottom of an Ibuprofen bottle.  As a thruhiker, pain is your friend -
>it tells you when you're walking wrong, it tells you when you're getting
>a blister or stressing your knees to the point of damage or when your
>pack is loaded or adjusted wrong or when your boots don't fit right or
>you're doing too many miles, too fast, too soon.
>Pay attention to the pain - fix the problem -  and stop trying to do your
>hike
>the easy way.  There really isn't any free lunch.  As a thruhiker - you'll
>learn to LOVE pain.  And if you don't - you'll probably go home early.
>Now come the $64,000 questions -
>First - didn't I hurt?  Of course I did, just like every other thruhiker.
>I had foot pain almost every night after I started doing 'big' miles (15+).
>I think that's endemic.  I don't even remember where the numb toes showed
>up, but I damn sure remember the steps in Virginia that I fell on and got a
>couple compressed discs and a bruise that I couldn't cover with a dinner
>plate.  But that wasn't an excuse for me to use painkillers for hiking.
>Second - did I use painkillers?  Yeah - when I stopped for the day and was
>cooking dinner.  And I took a couple more before going to sleep every night
>because even if I didn't actively hurt, there was always some low level
>pain that could make me restless and keep me awake .    I use Tylenol
>because I'm allergic to aspirin.
>Third - did I hike on painkillers?  Yeah - when my knees crashed in the
>Presidentials - but I damn sure didn't start in Tennessee.   And then again
>when I broke my wrist in Maine.  But even then I wasn't taking 3000+ mg
>a day.  If you need that much you shouldn't be on the trail.
>Fourth - do I know anyone who used them to hike - and still finished?  Yeah,
>a few, but most of them aren't hiking much anymore.  Permanent knee or
>ankle or back damage makes it tough to keep on long distance hiking.
>Enuff - this came out a little rougher than I intended, probably because it
>irritates me to see people blow themselves off the trail by misusing/abusing
>pain killers in the mistaken belief that the drugs will fix their problems.
>The drugs don't fix the problems, gang - that's your job.   Do it.

   Dick & Lyn  Wix
   (Rochester, MN)
  wixer@bigfoot.com