Re: [at-l] But Why?

I hope there is an answer posted that jives with my thoughts.  I have been
doing this stuff for more than 25 years and have been trying to answer the
why question all that time.  Stillno luck.  The only thing I know is that I
get charged up planning and thinking about it and somehow get into a colonial
- explorer's state of mind.  Hey, anybody else read Undaunted Courage by
Stephen Ambrose, Simon & Schuster press.  It's about tMeriwether Lewis from
the Lewis and Clark Expedition and it is outstanding.  Perhaps if I can
figure out why I like those type of books I can answer the why hike at all
question.

Why hike the AT seems a bit different.  I am suprised with the number of
beginner hikers who try and who complete the AT.  Meeting then on my section
hike in the Springer Mt area revealed a different inclination and perspective
than most hikers that I had met.  It seemed like the fact of completing a
trail that went more than 2,000 miles was a key factor, instead of hiking
more than 2,000 miles.  Perhaps, as is the case with Maine Rose, along the
way the solitude of the woods and savy of the outdoorsperson was picked up,
but in the beginning the thing that suprised me most was the gravitation to
groups of people at the shelters.  I guess, to paraphrase, it was not seeking
fellowship with the wilderness, but seeking fellowship in the wilderness.

Keep rhyming