[at-l] funny story

While reading Gypsy's latest journal entries I got to thinking back on
something that happened to my son and me last year at Newfound Gap. It
had snowed all day on April 8 and this made for difficult hiking on the
9th. We decided that we could get to Newfound Gap by about 10am and then
we would go to Gattlinburg for a day so the snow could melt. (In April in
the Smokies it can snow a foot deep in one day and all of it melt the
next day.)

In Newfound Gap the wind was really blowing and my little zipper
thermometer indicated about +20 F but we were actually very warm in all
our winter hiking duds. We had been on the trail for almost a week and
must have looked it because no one would give us a lift. I told my son
we had to work smarter not harder to solve this problem. We stepped back
off the road for awhile then we walked back and stood by the road with
our thumbs out. We were stamping our feet and wrapped our arms close
around us and acted like we were freezing to death in the high wind and
cold. In no time at all a good hearted man stopped and offer us a ride!
I tried to buy him a tank of gas or lunch but he declined. Some times
trail magic needs a little nudge.    Hopeful