Re: [at-l] Solophile's Journal Entries [Mar21-29]

It's nice reading these journal entries and noting the similarities and
difference with the hike experienced by those of us in '96.  I can recall
the re-routed section with the mudslide as described - they had ribboned off
a relo which supposedly was to become the new official trail.  Me, being a
purist early on and not aware of its permanence, chose to tangle with the
mudslide.  Bad idea.  Probably even worse this year.  Also, the Stecoahs,
as described, sound about right - insanely steep and overtly muddy.
Numerous hikers had wiped out through there, to painful result.  The climb
up to Brown Fork Shelter should be rerouted to avoid imminent thru-hiker
death, I think.  Way too harsh on fledgling legs.  Also, it appears that
spring is arriving about 2 weeks earlier than last year.  The descriptions
of wildflowers and leaf shoots beginning to bloom while on approach to
NOC was true for me last year, but closer to April 10-15.  Makes sense -
last winter was a rough one in the East, this year they were largely spared.
Here come the Smokies... love those "toilet areas."  Sure we'll be hearing
about them in the first person.
- Blister>Free '96