Re: [at-l] Why Georgia - Maine

At 10:55 AM 3/28/97 PST, Will Strickland wrote:
>Hi Pat,
>> He has a question...  Why doesn't anyone use gas stoves - all hikers in
>> this country use them.  Any particular reason?
>
>I don't understand your question. Most (over half) of the thru-hikers use
>the MSR Whisperlite. This stove burns white gas (Coleman fuel) and will
>function on unleaded automotive gasoline as well. It's a pain to simmer
>with, but it's a great, functional, light, simple stove.

I'm sure that Pat meant gas as in cartridge (propane, butane, etc.) stoves.
 The answer, as best I understand (I haven't been there), is that some
folks do, but that white gas (I think the South African common usage is
"Benzene") is the most easily available fuel along the trail.  Of the
cartridge stoves, some brands are better supported than others, but I'm not
the person to ask!

-- Jim Mayer