Re: [at-l] Why Georgia - Maine

Hi Pat,
I'll try to answer these for you and I'm sure you will get alot of replies
on the list.

> It appears that there'll be hundreds of kindred souls, but the vast
> majority of them are going South -> North.
>
> Why?  Is it solely because of climate?  It sounds as if the trail becomes
> pretty congested, with the "migratory herd" all heading north.

It's definitely the climate. The weather prohibits starting in Maine any
earlier than mid-may or so. The last stats I saw showed a 90% - 10% split
between Northbound and Southbound hikers. Even starting in the south can
be rough weather wise, the Smokies are notorious for receiving snow into
April.

> He is planning to leave from Springer, but as whether he flies to Maine
> from SA or to Atlanta would make little difference to his plans, can the
> list tell us which is the better option and why?

It depends on his departure date and his personal preferences. Starting in
April means he really needs to start in the south. I am one of the few,
the proud, the directionally challenged southbounders, simply because I
can't start until June.  That means it would be weather prohibitive to
hike northbound at that point, it would just be too nasty and cold by the
time I reached Maine. I actually live about an hour from Springer and the
feeling of "coming home" is a big incentive, as well as the solitude of
the southbound hike. Another plus for me is the 100 mile and the Whites.
These will be two big challenges early in the hike and are huge goals for
me. Additionally, I'll have a good 10 days of adjusting, hit my first
town, get a little rest and celebrate my goal, then it's off to the next
one, the Whites. Well between Monson and the Whites I figure I'll start
really getting settled into a routine as far as daily chores. By the time
I get out of the Whites I'll be rough, tough, and ready to hike the trail.
I almost look at the first 500 miles as a long shakedown hike to kick me
into shape and the into the groove of daily hiking.

> He has a question...  Why doesn't anyone use gas stoves - all hikers in
> this country use them.  Any particular reason?

I don't understand your question. Most (over half) of the thru-hikers use
the MSR Whisperlite. This stove burns white gas (Coleman fuel) and will
function on unleaded automotive gasoline as well. It's a pain to simmer
with, but it's a great, functional, light, simple stove.

> BTW, without the information gained from this AT post, he would not have
> been nearly as well-prepared as he is now.   Thanks everyone..

No doubt about it, this list is a huge resource in my planning and i thank
everyone as well.

Will Strickland -ANTELOPE- ME->GA '97
"May the four winds blow you safely home..."
  -- Grateful Dead--
Internet: gt0556d@prism.gatech.edu