[at-l] Re: at-l Spring hike?

Chase asked:

> Yo gang,
>
> 	I am planning a week long Spring hike for April 11-21. The area
> I am considering is Delaware Water Gap, NJ to Fort Montgomery, NY or
> Bear Mnt, NY. If anyone has information on these areas, espcially
> information
> on leaving a vehicle at these areas I would be glad to hear from you. I
> hope to have a small motorcycle to use with my truck to provide my  own
> shuttle by then, however I may need shuttle information for this area
> also.

I have left a car for a week at both DWG and at Bear Mt.  Things went
well both times.

At DWG, I left the car right in front of the National Park Service
information center.  You get to this by leaving I80 at the last exit
in NJ if you are westbound;  the parking lot is a bit further west,
and is on the south side of the interstate.  Unfortunately the
information center is unattended after 5PM, so you might wonder how
safe it really is.  Obviously, there is a lot of traffic nearby in
I80.

The safest place in the world to leave your car is at Bear Mt.  You
leave it in the parking lot between Bear Mt Inn and the Parkway
police station, parking down at the end by the police.  At night
there will be 20 police cars within 50 feet of yours.  This lot has a
charge (of maybe $5) for each time you drive in.  However, I found
that there was no one there to take money after about 5PM and before
8AM (this was in September, so it was off season).  The police like
you to sign in and out at their station.

I did a shuttle from DWG to Bear Mt by taking public busses.  You
have to go into New York City and change busses, so it is a bit of
hassle.  Still. you can do the shuttle in a morning.  I took the bus
leaving from E. Stroudsburg.  There are a lot of busses leaving in
the morning, because a lot of people commute by the 1 hour bus ride
to their jobs in NYC!!

E-mail me if you need more details.

Bob