Re: [at-l] Pick-my-pack-apart (Long)

Ahhh.... OK!

Will wrote:

> Well, I guess it's time to let you rejects tell
> me what I can do without :)

I'll see what I can do.

> weight as my other internal frame Lowe, approx        5 lbs
>
> Thermarest staytec regular + stuff sack               2 lb 2 oz

Look at the 3/4 length LE version.  If this is too thin, get a Stephenson
Down Air Mattress.
3 inches of comfort for 8 oz (I think) of weight.

> Gaiters - OR					      6.6 oz
> Fleece gloves					      1.9 oz
> Fleece hat					      2.3 oz
> Mesh headnet					      1.9 oz
> food bags/stuff sacks, two mesh,one w/proof	      4.4 oz
> Tent body/fly (Sierra Designs Clip flashlight)	      3 lbs 1.2 oz
> Tent poles/pegs (eastons)			      15.3 oz

There are lighter tent pegs out there.  (I know, I weighed them)  However,
lighter pegs may not be as durable.  Its a trade-off.

How about replacing the tent with an OR bivy?  Don't know the weight
off-hand but I think the bivy weighs around 2.5 pounds, total (excluding
groundcloth).

> Groundcloth					      9.5 oz

I'd look for a lighter groundcloth.

> Marmot Alpinist Light G-tex shell		      1 lb 15.7 oz

2 pounds seems pretty heavy to me.  Is there a lighter alternative?  I
don't like this.  FF sells a down sweater that weighs approx. 15 oz.  Can't
a lightweight down sweater be combined with a lighter-weight Gore-tex
jacket?

> boots (not spares, but on my feet) Zamberlan	      3 lb 14.8 oz
> Portion of Thru hikers companion/maps		      10 oz

Can't you do a better job of reducing the weight of the thru-hiker
companion pages?  You know, use a photocopier & photo reduce the pages down
to 1/2 their original size... or perhaps even smaller!

> Nylon wind pants				      5.6 oz
> Long underwear top (REI MTS midweight t-neck)	      9.6 oz
> Long underwear bottom 				      11.2 oz

I'd replace the long underwear with silk longjohns and t-shirts available
from "Only the Lightest" backpacking equipment company.  They advertise in
the classified section of Backpacker Magazine (i.e., in the back).  Of
course, the silks weigh less (don't know the weight off-hand) but they
won't keep you as warm; but with nylon windpants and your Goretex jacket, I
think the silk undies would be sufficient.

> two coolmax t-shirts                                  12 oz
> 2 pair Nylon soccer shorts			      7.2 oz
> Flashlight - Minimag 2 AA size			      2.1 oz

Change to the 2 AAA size minimag.  Also, I question the weight of your AA
minimag.  I don't have my list with me but I could swear the AA version
weighs more than what you have it posted as.  Also, how about a headband
for your mini-mag?  Add one more ounce but I think it's worth it.

> Water filter - PUR Hiker			      15.6 oz
> Pack cover - REI				      8.5 oz

How about replacing the pack cover with a plastic garbage bag?  I must
admit I've never done this (I use a poncho).  They won't be very durable
but you could replace the garbage bag at stores and maildrops along the
way....  If it doesn't work, you could always have your REI pack cover
mailed to you en-route.

> Stove - MSR Whisperlite Internat.		      15.3 oz
> Fuel bottle (empty) 22oz			      5.0 oz

> Cookpot - MSR stainless 2 qt			      8.6 oz
> Lid for cookpot					      5.4 oz

Replace the stainless cookpot & lid for a 1.3 liter titanium pot.  Pot &
lid weigh 5.5 oz.  The lid is good for nothing except covering the pot.  No
need for a pot holder with this pot.  It's built in.  I guess you could
dump the pot and lid altogether and go with a Sierra Cup.

> 2 Nalgene 1 liter bottles			      7.6 oz

replace with 2 1-liter pepsi bottles.  Total weight = 3.5 oz.

> Collapsable 3 gallon waterbag			      5.2 oz

Hmmm.... with two water bottles, I think you could toss this item.

> Sleeping bag synthetic + 20 degree		      3lbs 2 oz

Dump the sleeping bag for either a W Mountaineering or FF 2 lb down bag,
good to 20 degrees.

> Socks - 3 pair Thorlo Lt trekkers		      8 oz

Dump 1 pair of socks.

What about a camera and a knife?  How much do yours weigh?  I saw an add
for a multi-tool knife in the recent Backpacker Magazine.  It claims to
weigh 1.6 oz.

> Some things I'll take not on the list.......
> Lekis - Super Makalus (what do these weigh anyhow?)
> 2 Bandanas

dump 1 bandanna