Re: [at-l] An argument for a light pack

I was merely reiterating an idea found in the book, as was asked of me by
another on the list.  Many of Ray Jardine's ideas may sound a bit snobby
and high on the horse, but I think the man has some genuinely helpful ideas
for ANYONE who hikes more than a few days a year, and based on his supreme
experience with long distance hiking (20,000 miles on 3 long trails, President
and founder of American Long Distance Hiking Association, inventor of the
"Friend" climbing device...), I think he's entitled to come across a bit
extravegantly.  The Pyramid concept isn't designed to peg hikers into some
kind of caste system, but to simply demonstrate how one's pack weight, and
hiking efficiency, can increase or decrease based upon variables they may
not have truly conceived.  I'm no power hiker, and wasn't known for big miles
on the AT.  What I get out of this book are some great philosophies on how
to do without while gaining a whole lot more, and therefore to hike more
easily, regardless of the number of daily miles endured.  The system would let
those who want bigger miles get them for no extra effort, and those who want
fewer injuries and other bodily complaints for the same mileage attain such
as well.  This book is viewed with skeptical eyes only until its opened and
read, in my opinion.
- Blister>Free '96