Re: [at-l] Gear List (now: water bags)

Jim -
Part of the hassle was - as you mentioned - wet knees (and other
body parts) from kneeling/sitting next to streams and managing
what sometimes seemed like 1000 ft of hoses.  But mainly it was
just the mental hassle of remembering to NOT put unfiltered
water in the water bag.  That doesn't sound like much, but after
you've been out there a while and your life has been simplified,
something that small can be a real irritation.  So I eliminated that
irritation by putting ONLY unfiltered water in the bag.

Now -  "maybe" we can solve your other problem - if you want
your water handy all the time try this - get a mini-caribiner and
a Nalgene bottle (either 1 pint or 1 qt) with the top attached.
Attach the mini-caribiner to the front of your pack harness (mine
attaches to a D-ring on the left side), then slip the loop that attaches
the Nalgene bottle top into the mini-carabiner and your water bottle
will be right there for you - all the time.  BUT - there's a down
side to this - for the first week after I started using this arrangement
I thought that bottle was gonna break a rib every time it swung out
and then slammed back into my ribs.  Initially, I tried a velcro strap
to hold the water bottle against the pack harness, but that was a real
pain, so eventually I learned to walk with a rhythm that didn't slam
it back into my ribs.  Later on it became automatic to adjust or hold
the bottle in certain situations.  Now the whole thing is automatic - and
a lot easier than having to drop the pack and dig out the water bottle
when I need it.

Now - let me give you a  couple reasons for using a water filter -
first, there are VERY FEW areas in the US where the water is
reliably "good".  I wish I could remember where it was, but I
recently saw a comment by someone who had been part of a crew
that tested water sources in Colorado - and EVERY water source
they tested contained at least Giardia if not other, nastier livestock.
I know there are still a few "good" water sources along the AT -
but I couldn't tell you which ones or how long they'll stay that
way - and neither can anyone else.  I know there are still a few
"good" water sources in Pennsylvania - but I don't think they'll
be "good" much longer either.

Another reason for using a filter is that the iodine/bleach/whatever
doesn't remove the most common chemical contaminants - fertilizer,
pesticides, petrochemicals and the myriad of other chemicals that are
used in "modern" farming and end up leaching into the soil.  It takes
a carbon filter to remove those.

And finally, when you're in Maine - what flavor do you like your
moose piss?  The water source for a lot of the shelters and campsites
in Maine is that beautiful pond out front.  Now - where do you think
the moose feed and play and bathe - and piss - after you go to bed
at night?  Yeah - you got it - in your water source.  Now did you
REALLY want to use iodine - or would a filter make you feel better
about your morning coffee?

Carrying and using a filter had better become a part of life on the
Trail for you - unless you're willing to learn to live with the
alternatives

Anyway, now that I've made everyone gag on their coffee, y'all
have a good day.

Walk softly,
Jim