[at-l] Cyalumes

bob <deer@epix.net> writes:

>Cyalume sticks. These are the minis. They weigh about a gram a piece.
>I think that I have 4 or 5. Much lighter than a candle and they
>aren't a problem to use in the wind or rain.

Hey, great idea!  I never thought of using those tiny Cyalumes for useful
illumination.  They're great for Halloween or other festive occasions:  Cut
out a 1" circle of _really sticky_ transparent packing-tape.  Poke a hole
in the center.  Stuff the activated Cyalume through the hole, pinch enough
tape around it to hold onto the end, then stick the tape in upper center of
your forehead (or one on each side).  -:)

Green mini-Cyalumes are brightest and longest-lasting.  Yellow is also
good, red and blue not so good.  They may be very dim or not work at all
below freezing.  Shelf life is at least two years at room temperature.
Getting cooked inside a car in summer will kill them, as will oxygen
diffusing through the plastic tubes (don't open the airtight package until
ready to use; save the foil for a reflector).  A great variety of Cyalumes
is available from Bob & Bob, P.O.  Box 441, Sinks Grove WV 24901
(304)772-5049 fax:(304)772-3076 (interesting catalog!)

 --  Frank     reid@indiana.edu