Re: [at-l] Bear Bags

DonandBeth@aol.com wrote:

> I've been lurking here for about a month, planning to hike the southernmost
> 300 miles of the AT starting April 22.

Ooooh! Fun! :)

> One concern I haven't resolved is the practice of hanging food away
> from sleeping areas in order to avoid personal contact with area
> bears.  Is this a practice that is (never - seldom - occasionally -
> often - always) performed on the AT?

It isn't really to avoid personal contact, but to reduce the chances of
the bear eating all of your food.

If you are staying in an area where there are bears, do it. I think this
accounts for just about all of the AT. In some areas there are specially
designed boxes for your food. In SNP, I've seen bear poles at shelters,
but the "branches" are way too thick for most stuff sacks and the stick
you use to lift your bag on the pole is heeeeeeaaaaaavy!

> Does staying in a shelter eliminate that need?

Nope. The bear can walk into a shelter, as can mice, racoons, skunks,
and various other woodland creatures.

> Will the practice virtually eliminate the possibility of a bear
> introduction or should other precautions be taken?

I'm not sure what you mean. Bears go where they want. Whether or not
they will decide to visit your camp area is unbeknownst to me.

> Should you make enough noise on the trail to announce your arrival
> for, say, 10 yards ahead?

No, that doens't really help, and it might annoy other hikers. Black
bears are skittish, and are likely to run away just hearing or seeing
you walk down the trail. I don't think banging on pots or using bear
bells is going to be any more sufficient.

> Does wearing a bright color attract or ward-off predators?

I have never heard so, unless you count wearing bright orange to ward
off hunters. ;)

>  I'm not really terrified of the thought of bear contact but would
> just as soon lower the odds.  Thanks for your response(s).

Use common sense. Don't leave food around, clean up after yourself, hang
food *and* trash, bury wastes, and don't litter.

Have fun!

--
Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven