[at-l] Snakes!

Yes Virginia there are rattlesnakes on the AT

That said, I have heard of only a few bitings in the almost 40 years I
have been paying attention to these things.

My first experience was at age 11 I was at Boy Scout Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco
which is under the trail in NJ just north of Rattlesnake springs (I
wonder how they named that spot?).  One afternoon I was laying on my cot in
my tent and heard a commotion out back.  I looked out the back flaps
to find two counselors from the nature hut picking up a timber rattler
they had caught and putting it in a bag.  that snake was about 6 feet long.

the next time I got up close and personal with a rattler that wasn't in
a cage was on the AT in Harriman Park NY.  While walking down the trail with
a friend we heard a rustle in the brush up ahead and stopped.  A rattler
crossed the trail about 4 feet ahead of us.  I am sure that had we continued
walking, the snake would have waited for us but I am glad I will never know for
sure.

As you go through the lemon squeezer, look down in the crevice.  there are
often rattlers & copperheads down there.  Don't worry you are about 15 feet
above them.

Happy trails,
Rich