Re: [at-l] The gear weenie strikes

At 07:44 AM 3/6/97 PST, Jennifer Delia Sawyer wrote:
>At 07:28 AM 3/6/97 EST, Gail B. Johnson wrote:
>>I couldn't help myself.  I saw the 1997 version of my Osprey Finesse
>
>Hmmmm...you ignite the gear-weenie within my very self.  What's the Osprey
>Finesse???  Clue us in!
>(and let us know how "dan" likes it) :)
>
>Pooh

Did I hear someone say gear weenie?  Finally, something I can talk
authoritatively about! :-)

Osprey makes a full line of packs, from big load monsters to day packs.
Like Dana Design packs, Osprey packs come in different frame and hip belt
sizes to help ensure a good fit.  A neat feature is their "vector"
compression panel system: they make interchangeable compression panels that
provide shovel pockets, front pockets of various sizes, a day pack, etc...
or you can leave it off and save a minimum of 7oz (the weight of the shovel
pocket).

The Finesse (according to my '96 catalog) is a member of their middle group
of packs.  It has their light weight "FlexionEX" suspension (one aluminum
stay, an HDPE frame sheet, and a looped "delrin" rod around the outside).
It comes standard with the shovel pocket compression panel.  The Finesse
comes in three sizes:

	Small	2600 cu. in.	3lb 14oz
	Medium	2800 cu. in.	4lb 0oz
	Large	3000 cu. in.	4lb 3oz

Other packs in the FlexionEX line include the Zephyr (2400 cu. in., 3lbs
10oz for a large), the Impala (3800 cu. in./ 4lb 10oz for a large with two
front pockets), and the Flyte (4600 cu. in./ 4lb 8oz for a large).

I bought a Flyte this winter, and have found it very comfortable on the
flat, 6 mile, grocery store runs I've taken it on so far.  These are not
"monster" packs, and I (and Osprey) don't think they would do well with a
50-60 pound load.  On the other hand, for loads up to 40 pounds (or even
45... the most I've carried) I found my Flyte to be as comfortable as my
nearly 7 pound Dana Terraplane.

The fit in these packs is a little different than for a bigger, heavier
pack.  For example, you'll never get the load lifter straps at a 45 degree
angle... simply because the pack doesn't go up that high.  That, and the
fairly thin hipbelt, are part of the reason they packs aren't intended to
carry monster loads.  Then again, neither am I :-)

Caveat: I haven't climbed any real mountains (even by east coast standards)
with either pack.

-- Jim