Re: [at-l] Re: Friar Tuck

Benjamin E Reese wrote:

> I want to put my 2 cents in re Friar Tuck
> (http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5428/wes.jpg)
>
> There is NO WAY that 96's Friar Tuck is the same crazy guy that people
> are  talking about running around in woman's underwear.

Ben...the story about the guy running around in women's underwear was
just an example of one of the list's, better humourist's, dry and quirky
storytelling (I love it!).  We were all wondering why someone would so
severely lighten our Marty's load and what that person did with Marty's
gear.

Wes is a good
> guy, even if he likes to have a bit of fun at the expense of Fontana Dam
> garbage can's.  I would like to vouch for his character.

I'm glad to hear that..it explains why Marty let him go through her
pack.  I do wonder about his judgement.  I know I would not have the
ego or cazones (?) to make such drastic choices for another hiker.

For example, perhaps on his thru attempt, he made extensive use of the
shelters and, for him a tent was only a back up.  For Marty and Smokey,
the tent will be their home while on the trail. She needs her ground
cloth.  And what ever possesed him to tell her to loose her liner socks?
If she's used to the two sock system, she may blister without them.

I could go on to question each of his 'gear cuts' but I think you see
my point. I'm not totally blaming Wes because Marty is 3X7+? years old
and did not have to take his advice.  What I think happened is.....
Marty, full of pre-trail jitters, wondering what the heck ever got into
her to decide to do such a nutty thing as walking to Maine, meets
Wes?Friar Tuck, who 'seems' to know what he's talking about.  She was at
a vunerable point and he...well I can't think of any kind phrases to
explain his motives.
Excess of ego or the need for ego gratification is about the best I can
come up with. .

>Whoever this new Friar Tuck is, is a lunatic and not the same guy as last year's.

Sometimes nice guys can do dumb things too....        Kahley