[at-l] Snakes...

Looks like I hit a small nest of topcis...
	I will agree if the dog gets bit, it will stand to reason that
something needs to be done.  But I didn't know he was going to take one,
no where in his gear did it mention a dog traveling along.
	Some other things I remember from ranger training and snakes.
Look out for the young snakes.  They are more likely to do the vemon thing
because they can't tell the difference between a human and a rat.  The
bigger ones do it to scare the bejeebers out of you so they can get away.

Snake story of mine on the trail.  I was hiking with my troop along the AT
north of Harper's Ferry.  One guy that came along is a state forester and
brought along his dog for the weekend.  We were hiking, and the dog was
off the leash just roaming and wondering.  (generally doing about twice as
much distance as the rest of us)  He ran across a timber rattler in the
middle of the trail.  His master called him back when he reaized what was
there and happened.  The dog proceeded to run back over the snake a second
time.

Boy was that one ticked snake.  He was coiled up in the middle of the
trail sounding like a baby discovering his rattler for the first time.  We
wound up going around him because all the methods of scaring him failed.
(stomping the ground, snakes can feel the vibrations...)  Man, was that
the closest I have ever seen a Timber Rattler. (I have seen a western
diamond back way too close though)

-=phil

--
|promans@sloth.loyola.edu |  www.cs.loyola.edu/~promans      Philmont |