[at-l] Lewis and Clark

The recently published "Undaunted Courage" by Ambrose chronicles the
events of the Lewis and Clark expedition with frequent references to
the journals that the men kept, along with the authors thoughts on
how the events shaped and were viewed by the politics of the day.
This was a Federally sponsored expedition that political opponents
of Thomas Jefferson (then president) tried to portray as an ill-
conceived boondoggle and waste of money.

It was an inspiring adventure indeed.  I highly recommend "Undaunted
Courage" to anyone who loves history, natural history, or adventure
travel. The men (and woman) of the Lewis and Clark expedition endured
quite a bit of suffering from the weather and lack of food, but
persevered.  I found it a fascinating book.

Charles Peters