Re: [at-l] The mental thing

At 08:05 PM 2/21/97 -0500, greenway@marlin.innerx.net wrote:
>I suppose there probably aren't as many current- or ex-military members
>among the AT crowd as there might have been 20 years ago.  For the
>thru-hikers who are familiar with the military, do you find any comparison
>between the mental/physical challenge of the hike and that of US Army Ranger
>training or Navy SEAL BUD/S training?  They're considered the apex of
>challenging training. The common denominator among them seems to be that
>fitness counts, but the biggest or most fit generally don't make it.  It's
>the ones that are usually of average size and
>better-than-average-but-not-Mr. Universe condition that do. They
>(particularly Rangers) aren't always physically impressive people.  They're
>just the ones that can keep reaching deep inside and pulling out the
>"stick-to-it-iveness" every day regardless of fatigue or injury. I have to
>wonder if, in a different life, people like Bill Irwin or Grandma Gatewood
>could have completed that type of training.
>
>Jim Greenway

Jim,

While I've never been through Ranger or SEAL training, I did graduate from
the U.S. Air Force Academy.  The four years their, espicially the first,
were the most mentally challenging experience I had until my AT thru-hike.

I argree completely that mental determination is the key to success in what
many people initially think is a physical challenge.  For me, the AT was
more mentally challenging than my USAFA experience.  There would have been
an effort, and some paper work, involved in quitting the Academy.  To give
up on a thru-hike, all you have to do is decide you don't feel like walking
anymore.

Unfortanately, mental strength, just like physical strength, isn't all it
takes.  Just ask anyone who's been sent home by injury; my hiking
partner/father can attest to that.  One of my fellow hikers, and great
friend, always said:  "It's F&D.  Faith and Determination"

Stacy