Re: [at-l] The mental thing

>At 08:05 PM 2/21/97 -0500, greenway@marlin.innerx.net wrote:
>I suppose there probably aren't as many current- or ex-military members
>among the AT crowd as there might have been 20 years ago.  For the
>thru-hikers who are familiar with the military, do you find any comparison
>between the mental/physical challenge of the hike and that of US Army
>Ranger training or Navy SEAL BUD/S training?  They're considered the >apex
of challenging training.

Hi Jim;

        having gone through Infantry training, I can say with certainty
that, while it wasn't anywhere near what the SEALs and Rangers go through in
their training, it definitely wasn't a walk in the park either, and I know
that having done it will give me the strength and confidence to go on the
Trail and "give 'er", especially when things seem to be heading south in a
BFH (big "freakin'" hurry) on me.  While I have yet to do my thruhike, it is
my opinion that military training gives you the ability to look at a
negative situation and say, "Ya know what? I've been through worse.." and
then carry on, knowing you have what it takes to do it.  'Jes my two cents... :)

Slainte,
Cindi
ga -> me '98