Re: [at-l] Put me in the 80% that didnt make it.

Charles W. Davidson wrote:

> HI gang,
>
>         Deeeepression has set in. My leave has been canceled I will not be
> Thru-Hiking this year :<(((((. On the brite side I have a good job and
> plenty of backpacking supplies. I will just have to work on completeing
> my section hike of the AT until another Thru-Hikeing chance comes along.
> Sure I could go now and get a different job when I return, but after 24
> years with the same company I have earned some good benifits. Hopefully
> I can take early retirement in 12 years! Then I can hike the trail as it
> should be hiked....with unlimited time. <snip>
Chase,

Really sorry your plans fell through. However, I see you are already
making "lemonade out of lemons" in your statement that you have a "good
job and plenty of backpacking supplies". That's good. Just think what
your level your desire will be when the time actually does roll around!

I'm on the same stretch of trail as you are. I started at the bottom in
my company and worked my way up to a Senior VP post. I worked my butt
off to achieve that goal and quitting to do the trail now would be like
chucking the hike at Katahdin Stream Campground. And leaving my family
at this juncture would be like yellow blazing.

I'll wait with almost unbearable anticipation until I fulfill my
responsibilities off- trail and continue to section hike. I am at peace
with that decision.

Hey, maybe we'll do our thru-hikes at the same time? See you on the
trail.

"Just a section hiker, wannabe thru-hiker"
Pete
Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com