[at-l] Military

At 08:05 PM 2/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
do you find any comparison
>between the mental/physical challenge of the hike and that of US Army Ranger
>training or Navy SEAL BUD/S training?

I was Airborne (18th Corp) in the military, and served overseas in a combat
situation, and served stateside in relatively peaceful conditions. I find
great similarities between military life and thru-hiking, especially from
the psychological standpoint. I think that is why so many ex-military
people do quite well on thru-hikes. They are just mentally prepared for the
rigors of doing a thru-hike, and the mental part is about 90% of it.--Wingfoot