[at-l] Another umbrella comment

Hi all,

  I am surprised that no one mentioned this before (or maybe I missed it) but I
remember an article in Backpacker Magazine within the past 5 years on hikers
who had hiked the AT or PCT or CDT and/or whatever trail several times.
Anyway, the lead photo for the story was a man and woman, and the woman's trail
name was "The Umbrella Lady", quite famous on the trail (according to the
article) and she didn't get her trail name for nothing (her trusty umbrella at
her side in the photo).  Since she had hiked the AT a number of times as well
as other trails, it seems that carrying an umbrella is not a new idea (her
first AT thru-hike was in the mid-80's, I think I recall, but then my "little
gray cells" wouldn't hold up in court).  Has anyone on this list heard or met
her?
  Personally, I take no sides on the issue, as I have never tried it: trails in
Alaska (what few there are) are ALL brushy, and I usually just plan on getting
soaked to the bone.  I must admit, though, it SOUNDS great!!

Alan