Re: [at-l] UMBRELLA MOVEMENT

I think I'll side w/ big E on the umbrella theory for several
reasons.  First, and most important:  Rain usually means lightning, and
its probably not very wise to parade around on the ridge with a
lightning rod in your possesion, yes a pack serves this purpose too, but
Al is a bad conductor compared to steel, which is what they make
umbrellas with.  I recommend that anyone using an umbrella makes sure
that it has a graphite shaft (even then the spreaders are still steel)
Second, the trail IS overgrown:  come early summer it would take
unbelievable amounts of work to keep the Trail clear, and the manpower
isn't always there, so you'll be amazed at the brush conditions come
June (you'll most likely be in VA).  Third, with any new idea there will
be those who are skeptics:  I suggest you try it for yourself, but keep
in mind that there are other on the Trail who will need to pass.  The
cleared Trail is about two feet wide and 6-7 feet high in most areas.
If you are carrying a 3-4 foot wide umbrella, how is it that people will
pass safely...?   Fourth, an umbrella does nothing to keep in body heat,
which is a main purpose of raingear,  if you are hiking in a 35 degree
rain w/ an umbrella, you will get very cold (hypothermia isn't fun..I've
been there in the whites)  I always encoarage inovation, but I won't be
hopping on the bandwagon just yet.

			Best of luck,
					City Slicka