Re: [at-l] Rain Gear for those who sweat like a HOG

Bakwudz@aol.com wrote:

> In my own experience, I have found regular application of Biwell Red to be a
> terrific boot waterproofer.  I have been using it for about 5 years, and can
> honestly say that THE STUFF WORKS!!!  I would highly recommend using it.
>  However, it only comes in a large tube, so maybe you thru-hikers could divvy
> it up into small packets, and include one in each maildrop.
>     BTW, it also conditions the leather-- keeps my boots very supple ( I have
> all-leather Merrells).  Hope this info helps  : )

I use Nikwax and Biwell. I do three applications of Nikwax then a final
coat of Biwell. This was per the recommendation from the store where I
bought the boots. They are all leather Asolos. I've done some long hikes
as well as many weekenders, and my feet haven't been wet. But that is
not thru-hiking and was wondering why thru-hikers didn't mention it or
possibly didn't use waterproofing because it flat just didn't work?

Pete