[at-l] Hiking & Spirituality (again)

Hi again!
I sent this out last week but no one in the digest got it, and it's not on
the archive page either. Very odd! Thanks to those of you who got it in
immediate-mode and responded. Just thought I'd post it again to see a few
more responses...
---------
I just read the info at <http://www.fred.net/kathy/request.txt> regarding
the fellow who's doing a thesis on the "state of nature in Contemporary
America" and the whole concept of "getting back to nature."

I've always considered myself Christian but never been a churchgoer (not
since parents dragged me there, pre-teen days). It seems one of the few
places I find a sense of peace and appreciation for God's handiwork is in
the woods. The longer I'm out, the more I feel it. I suppose part of the
reason I want to do the AT is tied up in spiritual questions left
unanswered...why I am here...why is life finite...what is my role in the
universe...what happens when I die... Big stuff. And the only place I seem
to connect with those spiritual questions is outdoors.

A local (Pittsburgh-area) woman's magazine asked me to write an article this
month on woman's viewpoints on how time "in the woods" or "on the trail"
refreshes their emotional well-being. If any of you ladies out there have
comments on the subject, I'd be happy to hear them (I'll listen to you guys
too, but can't use your quotes<G>). Typical writer's dilemma: since it's not
a personal essay, I can't put much of my own viewpoint and philosophy into
it, I have to rely on others for quotes.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Sandy
GA->ME 1999
<downs@nb.net>     	Visit Cyberwall! http://www.nb.net/~downs/