[at-l] A listing of my gear

   The gear that I own and plan on using for the hike. If anyone has
   ideas, thoughts, recommendations, and or suggestions about what I have
   already or don't have... let me know!

   Backpack: A Dana Stillwater. Does great and I don't need all that
   extra room that the Terraplane has. If I had ever filled one up, I
   would be carrying way too much gear...

   Side notes about the Dana: I got the small wet-rib for the pack and it
   has worked wonders. Sure, the extras are not what makes it all, but
   considering there is no other good place to put your bottle, this
   makes it all worth wild. The addition of a small place to put munchies
   and stuff also makes it great. I have heard about people wearing an
   inverse fannie packs to keep stuff handy like a camera, but this small
   extra takes care of that works for the water-bottle as well. A must
   have for Dana owners.

   Another note on the Stillwater: The access from the front and top. I
   use to own a Mt.Smith FrostFireII and was intrigued by the lack of
   access to needed gear in the pack. The Stillwater had access via a
   front loader and a top. The bottom sleeping bag compartment was taken
   out, but I loved the addition of the compression Beaver-tail to the
   pack.

   Pack cover comes from my old Mt.Smith pack. It is coated nylon stuff
   that fits right nice over the Dana. Nothing fancy just folds itself
   into a small bag and has a draw string to keep it tight around the
   pack. I don't have the 45 dollars to support a Dana pack fly.

   Boots: Richle Eigers. Bought them because I don't want my ankles
   turning into mush. They are heavy but boy do they keep you in the
   game.

   note: I am currently trying to find a good back-up pair of boots while
   on the trial. I know that there are hardly any boots that will survive
   the 2000+ miles of the AT. So, I plan to send the Eigers back for
   repair and have a temp pair for the time being.

   I have located a cobbler in NY state that will do a 2 day turn around
   for anyone hiking the AT. With a week off at Harper's Ferry, it should
   be great. For anyone wanting to know this place it is called the
   Cobbler and the Cordwain (not a 100% on the name) 1-800

   Addition to boots. I have somewhat thinner ankles than most people.
   (due to in part I am 6'4" and about 150) I started using low gators
   and they have worked wonders for keeping the spree out of the boots,
   also adding to the length of the socks involved.

   Tent: Kelty Ultra-Light. Got it for cheap, works great cause I am 6'4"
   and I can sit up in it. Nice and light... (about 5pds)

   note: I bought this tent 2 years ago from REI for about 100 bucks. At
   the time it was a great deal, and the more I use it the better it
   gets. The only draw back at this time is two: a) Unless you are really
   friendly with someone, this tent is a solo job b) on one of the guide
   lines for the fly, some of the stitching is coming out. I finally
   bought enough of the Easton tent pegs. These things are not going to
   get lost nor are they going to be bent. Tough as the bats!

   Sleeping Bag: The North Face Cat's Meow. A really nice 20 degree bag
   that I have had for about 3 years. The flannel like lining makes it
   cozy to sleep in. Though I do have to get a new stuffsack, my dog
   thought the pull string was something to be chewed.

   Am tracking down a good compression sack for the bag. Two approaches
   have been taken. One was suggested by a fellow 97'er, Tumbleweed, a
   bag made by Lowe Alpine. Another person has mentioned that TNF makes
   compression bags. I will have to see which one comes out on top.

   Raingear: Coat is Mountain Hardware Exposure. Got it 25% off during
   the summer of '96 and have been loving the purchase since. The pants
   are Lowe. Got them about 4 years ago and haven't used them all that
   much.

   note: I have been talking with people about the use of lighter weight
   jackets but I think this will do just fine. The breathable Gore-tex is
   what makes it worth it. If you are wearing those plastic rain-suits,
   you are turning yourself into a greenhouse and will just get as wet
   inside as it is outside. The only upside to all of it is that you are
   keeping warm doing it. Might switch to my older Marmot Gore-tex when
   the weather warms up and gear gets shed for lighter stuff.

   Hiking clothing: I have been to Patagonia and I have purchased two
   pairs of baggies. They are made out of quick drying material and have
   a mesh lining to keep them breathable. I also picked up another
   capeline shirt (see below) which I plan to do alot of hiking in.

   Sleep clothes: has been floating about ever since I became a Philmont
   Ranger. Just something to slip into at night and not the nasty clothes
   you used to hike 15 miles a day for the past week. Also will double as
   some town clothes as my other stuff is getting cleaned. Nothing much,
   just a pair of champion lacrosse type shorts and a shirt of some sort.

   Warm clothing: Lightweight Capeline undies. I don't expect to get
   really cold out there, so these will do very well with the other
   stuff. I also plan on taking my 200 weight Wind-Stopper REI
   polarfleece jacket for extra warmth. Also makes a great pillow at
   night.

   Cookgear: MSR WhisperLite International 600. I got it pro-deal in 1995
   and it works great... besides, what else do you do besides boiling
   water while backpacking? The rest of the pots and pans are MSR with
   the cool heat exchanger. Also purchased at pro-deal price.

   note: I am going to do nothing but use the system for boiling water. A
   two pot method will be employed for eating. One pot just for the
   water, the other smaller pot just for mixing food and eating out of.
   This way is to keep the chance for nasties down. Plus, less to clean
   up. I am seriously considering taking just the bigger pot (1.5L) and
   taking a cool-whip bowl for the second. Extra weight stays home when
   at all possible.

   clean up: I have learned over time that the best clean up method is to
   lick everything clean as possible. That's right, you heard it from
   me... lick it! Then, bring your water to a boil and stralize
   everything you used. Not only will you clean everything but kill
   anything nasty off. Plus a good dose of boiling water before use of
   the water will again kill anything lurking in your pack.

   Water purifier: PUR Hiker. Rated one of the best, never heard a bad
   word about it. Gets rid of the stuff I shiver to think about.

   note: Seeing as how I got it this year, I will have a year on the
   warranty. There have been some suggestions, mostly by me, to have a
   pre-pre filter of a bit of cloth or something. I have found a
   Sweetwater attachment to the beginning of the tube to get rid of slit,
   but with practice and experience I think I can avoid that situation
   all together.

   extras that I plan to take: I have a Olympus infinity Zoom 230 that I
   plan to take along. Has flash and all the nice little features needed
   to make a good picture. Been very impressed with the pictures I have
   gotten from it for the five years I have owned it. I even got a small
   tri-pod for it! =)

   Maryland state flag. Just look for it on the back of my pack.

   Maps... I plan to carry only the section of what I am hiking
   obviously. The guide I am going to use is a part of Wingfoot at a
   time. The databook is not hugely important nor is the guidebooks
   included with each major section of trail that you get when buying
   them all together. (that and too much weight)

   Journal of some sort. I am thinking just get some scrap paper and fold
   in half and write on that for a time. Nothing fancy, just ideas and
   what rolls of film where used so I can keep track of. Anything else
   worth noting will be done there.

   Gear yet to be had!:

   I can't think of anything at this point. If there is anything I am
   missing, please alert me to it!

--
|promans@sloth.loyola.edu |  www.cs.loyola.edu/~promans      Philmont |