[at-l] Body found in SNP

This story I first heard as my clock radio went offearly one morning a
while back.   I didn't hear more or read about it and had to search for
this news release to verify.   It is dated 1/31/97.

From: Current News, posted at URL:   http://www.nps.gov/shen/
[quoted]
For Immediate Release

   MEDICAL EXAMINER'S OFFICE HAS RELEASED SOME FINDINGS
    RELATED TO THE HUMAN REMAINS FOUND IN SHENANDOAH
                             NATIONAL PARK

For additional information contact:
Lyn Rothgeb or Mary Lowe at (540) 999-3300

The National Park Service received word today from the Virginia State
Medical Examiner's Office in Fairfax, Virginia, that the human remains
found in Shenandoah National Park on Sunday, January 26, are those of a
male.  He is described as being white, age 30-35, about 5' 6" to 5' 8".
He was wearing a short-sleeved shirt, long pants, and hiking boots.

The cause and approximate date of death are unknown.

On Sunday, January 26, a hiker in the northern section of Shenandoah
National Park discovered clothed, skeletal remains.  The hiker reported
the finding to the Shenandoah National Park Communications Center on
Monday, January 27.  The report was confirmed late that same day.

The site where the human remains were discovered is approximately 10
miles South of Front Royal and about one mile West of the Skyline Drive.

[snip]

[end quoted press release]

FWIW, I think Lyn Rothgeb has e-mail at:   Lyn_Rothgeb@nps.gov

It is hard to determine from the description above, if this area south of
Dicky Ridge Visitor Center (mile 6) and North of Hogback Mtn. (mile 19),
is the area were the AT is west of the Skyline Drive for a couple of
miles before heading off to the east around Front Royal.  There appears
no mention of pack or camping equipment though.

Y'all have a safe hike.

Peter Lascell
Forest, VA
w4wwq@juno.com