[at-l] Sleeping pads & insulation

I tried out my new bivy shelter (Integral Designs Unishelter) in the back
yard last night.  I used it with a 3/4 length Z-Rest, a fleece jacket under
my head, and my boots under my feet (underneath the bivy).  I had a 20
degree down sleeping bag and light weight long-johns.  The temperature was
about 35 degrees, there was an inch or two of wet snow on the ground, and
some light snow or drizzle during the night (I didn't get up to find out
which).

The Unishelter kept my perfectly dry... ventilation was excellent, nothing
came in, and there was no condensation.  It was very easy to get into
(easier than my tent, actually), and felt quite roomy inside.

On the other hand, I was uncomfortably cold.

Now, I've used that bag down into the low twenties before and been OK, so
I'm guessing the problem wasn't the bag.  Before, though, I've used either
a standard thermarest or one of the fat LE models (both 3/4 length).  My
guess is that a Z-Rest doesn't provide enough insulation for me to lie down
on top of wet snow.

So my question, for ridge rest and Z-Rest fans is: how did your pad work
for you in cold, snowy, weather?  Were you OK?  Did you always stay in a
shelter (and was that warmer)?  Did anyone start out with a thick pad, then
switch when the weather warmed up?  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

-- Jim Mayer