Re: [at-l] Toothpaste, etc, etc...

  I replaced my 4L MSR Dromendary with a 6L after my hike. There were a
couple of times the extra water would have been nice. Several places along
the trail could force a "dry" camp, by bringing in extra HOH, you'll still
have enough to rinse of the daily sludge. I used the Data book to check for
water sources along the trail before I got to my proposed over night spot. I
kept my actual carrying of water to under a mile when possible, the only
place I remember carrying the full 4L and 2 full 1L bottles over a mile was
Peters Mt coming out of Duncannon PA.

  take care,

At 02:56 PM 1/31/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Daane, Peter wrote:
>
>> I have seen lots of info on gear. One item many past thru-hikers suggest is
>> a water bag, however, little is said about pros and cons of different types
>> and sizes.  I plan to buy MSR's 10 liter bag before I leave (April 3, 1997).
>>  Is it overkill to get one that sturdy or that large?
>
>A 10-L bag seems awfully large. And with water in it - HEAVY!! I just
>got my new 4-L bag replacement in the mail and am still waiting for my
>new 2-L. I don't know which will make it with me on the AT - probably
>the 2-L in addition to 2 Nalgene bottles.
>
>--
>Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
>http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven
>The Appalachian Trail 1998 * Georgia -> Maine

    Dick & Lyn  Wix     (Where's Spring; Rochester, MN)
                 aka  "WIXeR"  AT-94  GA->ME
                       wixer@sparc.isl.net
       We'll get there,,,, when we get there.!!" - obscure