RE: [at-l] A pack weight plea

-- [ From: Kurtis Kirsch * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Since I wear most of these items every day, I do not consider these items
weight.  Yes I wear boots everyday, and as for Leki's, I wouldn't hike
without them.  They help me to climb up mountains, they take a little of
the burden that would otherwise be totally on my back and legs.  The only
times that I put them on my pack are going to my transportation to the
trail, and when I try to hitch into towns to resupply.  I don't want any
potential ride to think that they could be weapons.  The weight on your
back is what counts, of course if you use the Golden Fleece instead of
Polartec, or wet cotton clothes, then you might have a point.  I would hope
that the people on this list will be sensible enough not to wear either of
these things.  And since I wear hiking boots everyday, including Thorlo's
and liners, my legs are quite acclimated to them.  I think you just like
getting naked outdoors, and that is why you advocating this approach to
assessing pack weight ;^)

		have fun gettin' naked,

		Kurt
		kurt.kirsch@internetmci.com

There were days,
there were days,
there were days, I know.
When all we ever wanted,
was to learn and love and grow.
When we grew into our shoes,
we told them where to go.
Walked halfway around the world,
on promise of the glow
Stood upon a mountain top.
Walked barefoot in the snow.
Gave all we had to give,
how much we'll never know, . . . . never know.

                                 Robert Hunter

>. . . . I have of late become a proponent of something called "total"
weight. That is, standing in your birthday >suit at Springer, or in our
case Katahdin, with all your stuff laid out in front of you, what does all
that stuff >weigh . . . .

>. . . . Same with boots , Leki's, your watch, your cap all that stuff, you
are still carrying it. What we have been >shooting for is reducing that
"total" weight. I think I would rather know that number ,rather than
fooling myself >by playing games with what MAY  be in my pack and what MAY
be on my body.