Re: [at-l] (stress fractures?)

Emily E Reith wrote:
> Is this problem common with breaking feet?  That is actually one of my
> major concerns about my ('98) thru hike... stress fractures.  I have had
> 2 stress fractures (one in each foot) in the last 2 years, the second of
> which would not heal and ended up in a cast up to my knee for a good part
> of the spring.

Yuck. I'm not worried about stress fractures per say, but regular broken
bones. I broke my arm a few years ago falling out of a tree (long story)
and now am missing the radial head from my left arm and have a small
titanium plate on my ulna. I am also worried about this arm as it's
weaker than the right arm. I was amazed how easily bones can break. Ew.
I can still hear the "snap."  :P

> After seeing several docs and a pediatrist I am now sporting a pair of
> custom orthotics (which so far I LOVE despite all the bad press) but
> nobody could tell me if there is some real way to prevent these breaks.
> It seams they can happen whenever you put a lot of stress on your feet,
> and there seems to be no way to avoid this while backpacking!  My fear is
> that I will have to leave the trail sooner than I want to.

Make sure you have well fitting boots and make sure your backpack is not
overloaded. I recently went back and reread Waldo's journals - he was
carrying 65#!!! At one point he took out a few things and was carrying a
"light" load of 50#. :P He also complained of back strain. I am going to
make sure my pack is no heavier than 35#.

--
Diana ^(raven)^ * raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven