[at-l] Re: Pack Covers

I used a rather heavy pack cover for most of my hike last summer.  I used
it even on sunny days figuring "what better place to put a pack cover
than covering a pack."  Nothing in my pack ever got wet.  The elastic in
it broke in several places about 10 weeks in.  I threw the cover away.
During the last week, I hiked through a lot of wetness including one day
where the rain never stopped.  Nothing in my pack ever got wet.  So next
summer I'm going without a cover.

Important caveats:
* External Frame Pack
* Religious use of plastic bags for everything in my pack.  (Well, a few
exceptions: parachute cord, plastic groundcloth already folded, peanut
butter jar, sandals, trowel, et al.)

I would have a SMALL puddle of water build up in the bottom of my pack.
But I never had a bad experience from wet equipment.

As for the day of non-stop rain mentioned above, I'm not ashamed to say I
slept for 11 hours on the floor of the bathroom at Dahlgren Backpacker
Campground.  And I never even found a way to turn out the light!

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu   "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	   and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  (713) 630-8678         many people as I wish."    |
|http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danieljg    GA->PA 96, PA->ME 97         |