Re: [at-l] Relationships

That is really good to know about the Laurel Highlands Trail. I do not mind
the thought of hiking alone and that would be an extra feeling of security.
I would like to hike alone at least once to "prove" something I guess to myself.

Actually, my husband would like to thruhike without me so that I could
support him on the trail. Also, he thinks we have different philosophies
about hiking. I hike faster but frankly I can't see the difference in
viewing the scenery at 2.5 mph compared to 1.5 mph. I guess you have to make
sure your feet, ankles and legs can withstand the difference in speed.

Deb G.

>After reading about the Laurel Highlands Trail and talking to one of the
>rangers, I'm pretty confident I can take that on this year. I plan to do a
>weekend (out to a shelter and back) just to get used to backpacking, then go
>back later on and do the whole 70 miles on the "slowpoke" plan: a shelter
>every night. As much as I'd like to have a hiking buddy for my first outing,
>the "security" on the LHT (rangers check shelters after dark to see if you
>showed up) makes me less fearful of going solo...which is what's kept me
>from backpacking all these years. I also would like to hook up with a local
>backpacking group (if there is one) and am looking into that now.
>
>That's why I'm glad to have the emotional support and the technical know-how
>of this group :) Thank you all!
>
>Sandy
>
>PS. I'm planning for 1999 too, Jim -- perhaps I'll see you on the trail!
>---Sandra Downs 	<downs@nb.net>
>---Pittsburgh, PA       Visit Cyberwall! http://www.nb.net/~downs/

Deborah S. Grove, Ph.D.
Manager, Nucleic Acid Facility