Re: [at-l] New toy (Osprey Flyte Pack)

Jeff,

I paid list for it.  The '97 model has a nicer hip belt and is made out of
some funky kevlar reinforced ripstop (spectra cloth, I think they called
it).  I special ordered it through a local store (Snow Country), that
happens to be the only Osprey dealer around.  They don't usually carry the
Flyte, so I tried on a different pack with the same suspension.  I wanted
to go through a local dealer to get the fit right, so I didn't have much
choice about pricing.  I paid $249 for the pack, and another $12 or so for
a water bottle holster.

The 1997 model is out now, so you might be able to get a '96 at a reduced
price someplace.

If you call Osprey, they can send you a list of dealers.  Their number is:

	(970) 882-2221

Their E-Mail address is:

	OspreyPack@aol.com

In terms of price, I suspect there are a LOT of great packs out there,
particularly if you fall into one of the standard size ranges (most people
do!).  I have a long torso -- along with my big feet and mouth :-) -- so I
really appreciate the vendors like Dana and Osprey that offer semi-custom
fitting.  I've come to accept that being outside the "one size fits all"
range means that everything is more expensive.  It doesn't even bother me
anymore... (much)... but then again, I've been out of college for a long time!

-- Jim