Boots

>  Can anyone
> offer advice on brands and styles of boots?
>                                 Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I was so pleased with the performance of my boots on my thru-hike last
year that I thought I should drop you a note to that effect. I wore One
Sport Moraines. I'm very clumsy at times with my feet, stubbing my toes
etc. and I found the full-grain leather uppers very durable and the vibram
soles provided excellent traction on rocks wet or dry. I think all in all I'd
have to say that those boots saved my ankles (and my butt!) a few times
every day and probably saved my life coming over Wolf Rocks, PA in a
downpoor. Although I did require a second pair to finish the hike, I feel
certain that my first pair would have made it way past Harpers Ferry if I
had not followed the recommended treatment. I used the Nikwax for
nubuck and suede religiously at each mail drop but, being a water based
product, It just didn't hold up very well under the rigors of trail life. The
problem that I had was slight cracking in the leather which eventually
allowed the boots to leak like a sieve. When I called One Sport's
customer service number I was put in touch with a very friendly and
helpful woman who had a new pair sent overnight to my next maildrop. I
had to buy that pair on credit and send the faulty pair back. After having a
look at them they credited my visa account and replaced the first pair at
no extra cost. I treated the second pair with good ole' snow seal every
week or so. Not to be noted for it's aesthetic qualities mind you, but
very functional. Those boots still have quite a few miles left on them. The
soles have held up surprisingly well. I met a few other thru-hikers in
Moraines and to my recollection none of them had the same problem as I
did and they were all very pleased with the boots.

Well, that's my two cent's worth! Good Luck.

Tracy

"And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to
climb."
                 --- Kahlil Gibran