Re: [AT-L] Fall Hike In The GSMNP (Change in Direction)

Pete,
	Thanks for the great information.  A few more questions follow.

>Date:	Sat, 5 Oct 1996 15:02:52 -0500 (CDT)
>From:	athiker@www.plantnet.com (Peter H. Fornof)
>Sender:	at-l@patsy.hack.net
>To:	waynebrown@gnn.com
>Subject:	[AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Fall Hike In The GSMNP (Change in Direction)
>
>Wayne wrote:
><snip>
>
>>>	Well, those who said it was hard to get the shelter location you
>>>wanted on an October weekend were right.
>
>This doesn't suprise me. Has happened to me numerous times. LeConte is
>extremely popular and in leaf season, it's bezerk. Hey, Marty (Gypsy)
>Manzano told me that she got into LeConte Shelter with no sweat!

I'd like to know her secret?  Actuality, it's not that big a deal.  We've
been to the top of Mt LeCount on day hikes.  This will be our first time to
Mt. Collins.

>>>2)	What about the Mt. Collins shelter?  What should we expect?
>
>Oh, the shelter will be overcrowded, as usual. Many people don't make
>reservations and just hike to this shelter for an overnight from Newfound
>Gap. Get there early and claim your space as your reservations mean
> nothing
>to squatters who have taken your space. Rangers are usually non-existent,
> so
>you have no authorities to enforce the reservation system. There is a

Should we take our tent, just in case?  I know the rules forbid it at a
shelter area, but I don't want to be stuck with no place to sleep.

>composting privy there. Water is a little ways down the Sugarlands Trail
> and
>flows year around. Typical stone Smokies shelter with fireplace, wooden
>bunks, mice, bear fence, and trashed fire ring/grate in front of the
>shelter. Very overused place. However, the area around the shelter is very

>pretty.
>
>>>3)	Once we get to 441, it looks like there is a dirt road which runs
>>>	near 441 to the Old Sugarlands Trail.  Is this a good way to get to
>>>	Gatlinburg?
>
>Never been on it. I just hiked down the road. Fun breathing exhaust fumes,

We're trying to avoid the tail-light tour.  I hope that map is correct.