Re: [AT-L] Intro/Question

Myself wrote:

> I'm a new member of the list, referred here by a post on rec.backcountry.
> I'm a high school senior, and like to think of myself as somewhat of a
> backpacker.  Last spring break, my brother and I hiked the Maryland
> section of the AT in about 2 days, if I remember rightly.  I live in
> Maryland, about 1.5 hours away from the nearest part of the AT.
>
> It has long been a dream of mine to thru-hike one of the big trails
> (AT,CDT,PCT), and it seems that I may have a chance to do a good section
> of the AT this summer.  My first choice college is Williams College in
> Williamstown, MA., and the AT goes through North Adams, just down the
> road.  I have some very sketchy ideas about starting in Maryland and
> hiking to North Adams, but I haven't really started getting maps, plans
> together yet.
>
> It would be a great help if anyone could give me some approximate
> distance/time figures, as I would like to be in North Adams around the
> first move-in day.  Anything else you think would be helpful would also be
> appreciated.  If I decide to do this, I have the feeling that I will rely
> heavily on this list, since this would be my first experience with truly
> long-distance hiking.
>
> Thanks, and hello again
> Until.
>
> -Mark Rothlisberger
> --markrot@isr.umd.edu
>
> Do I dare
> Disturb the Universe?
> In a minute there is time
> For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
>         -T.S. Eliot, from "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."WED. 2 OCT. '96
	sOUNDS like a great idea - hope you get to do the trip the way
you have indicated.
	* From PEN/MAR near the state line it is about 532 miles on the
A.T. to Mass. Hwy #2 judt outside N. Adams, Mass.

	* If you hike 10 miles per day (MPD) it will take about 7 1/2
	  weeks to hike there.

	* If you hike 15 MPD it will take about 5 weeks to hike there.

I would recommend you get a "Appalachian Trail Data Book" from the ATC
in Harpers Ferry, WV.  P.O.BOX 807  AND ZIP IS 25425-0807.  tHE bOOKLET
WILL give you all the distances between shelters, roads, towns etc.  It
will be a good planning tool.

	HAPPY TRAILS,  "Tumbleweed"