Scouting

Jim Greenway made some really good points about helping the
scouts both boy & girl.  I was discussing last night with my
12 year old son about what I got out of the scouts.  The
first was a love of the outdoors with the skills &
selfconfidence to enjoy it.  The other was the idea of
service, doing things for others with nothing expected in
return.

If we can spend some time with the scouts teaching about our
various trails you may find them to be an incredible source
of man (boy/girl) power when it comes to maintaining these
trails.  If the scouts are shown early the amount of work it
takes to maintain the trails you can bet they will be the
best preservers of those trails for 50 to 60 years to come.

If you have a work party need ask the local Scout council to
see if they will help.

Just like we all love to get out on the trails for long
stretches of time, the kids find the adventure so exciting
and are so willing to learn anything your willing to teach
them.  Spend some time talking to these kids and telling
them stories of the trails or even take them out for a few
days or a few weeks,  you will change how people look at
these trails for the next 50 years.

Thanks Jim Greenway for you warm thoughts.

Doug Prosser
Camarillo, CA
Douglas.Prosser@kp.org

Looking to help Troop 243 do section hikes on the Pacific
Creast Trail.

All the talk about Scouting (Boy&Girl) and LNT ethics brings
up a good
topic.  Why don't more backpackers (especially those with
long-distance
experience) help with or organize Scout troops?  Right off
the bat, I
recognize that a lot of folks that have time for the
occasional trip will
not have the time to commit to a troop, but almost anyone
can spare 1-2
weekends per year or a couple of Tuesday nights. You can do
a simple program
on "how I go backpacking & what I take," up to more
sophisticated
presentations on personal safety and survival, backcountry
skills or (you
guessed it) Leave No Trace concepts and ideas.  Moreover,
the level of
experience that most of the AT-L have would make you really
good assistants
on a weekend trip.

I'm biased.  My wife helps with my daughter's Brownie troop.
 Believe it or
not,  it's actually more fun than it sounds.  I did two
1-hour talks on
knot tying and map&compass.  The kids were really good and
they actually
learned something.  All kids aren't demonspawn from the "Bad
News Bears."
And I don't recall the exact expression, but the Jesuits
have it right:
influence a child's thinking early in its life and you'll
have affected the
way they think for life.  Think about it: for the cost of a
couple of
Saturdays, you'll have changed how 10-20 kids see
backcountry skills.  If 1%
of everyone on the AT did that, what would things be like?

Jim Greenway