Re: [AT-L] Tents

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:22:45 -0500 (CDT), Jason Johnson wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>I am sure this is more for rec.backcountry or the like but I just wanted
>to know what kind of tents people took or are taking on their
>thru-hikes.  My wife and I am planning a thru-hike next summer and are
>looking at various tents.  We have kind of settled on the Sierra Designs
>Meteor Light.  At 5lbs. 13ozs. (I think) it seems to offer the most space
>for the least amount of money.  And it has a decent vestibule.  Any
>thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks,
>Jason

Hi Jason,

We recently bought a Kelty Windfoil Ultralight and have been very
pleased with it.  We got it because I'm rather tall (6'4") and my feet
always touched the end of other tents.  It's a two person tent, a basic
tunnel or hoop style like the SD Clip Flashlight, but is almost 11'
long!  Plenty of room at the head for a pack (or dog in our case), and
the vestibule is big enough for another pack and boots.  It's not
free-standing, but a minimum pitch only takes two stakes.  It's *really*
simple and fast to pitch too.  I did it by myself and put up the rain
fly too in less than 5 minutes -- the two of us can do it in about three
minutes.  Best of all, it weighs 4 lb. 14 oz seam sealed (tent and fly)
with all stakes, poles, stuff sack, and a little dirt and grass.  i.e.)
the *REAL* weight :)  We bought it locally, but Campmor has them for
about $150.

Be sure to check one out!

-Dave

Dave DeCroix     Ga->Me '98
decroix@brunt.meas.ncsu.edu
finger for PGP public key

"The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their
energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."  -John Muir