introduction

I've just begun my AT through-hike research. I've studied a lot
about PCT, and figured I'd do that first (I guess because I'm from
Seattl) but am now thinking the AT would be a better introduction to
long-distance backpacking.

How far in advance does one usually begin planning? In other words,
do I need to just say "okay, I'm doing it" by next week? Next month?
The end of the year? I'd most likely do the traditional Springer to
Katahdin, staring in April.

I already have just about all the gear I'd need, and have done a
fair bit of backpacking and hiking in the NW and Alaska, but have
never planned a long-distance backpack before.

Thanks
Jen

jdubois@wolfenet.com
http://www.wolfenet.com/~jdubois/jen