Re: gore tex socks

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Sharon Sharpe wrote:

> One of the truisms I read in the shelter logs was
> "There's no such thing as waterproof boots"

Hmm, I have been reading the "don't put gore-tex on your feet" thread and
I am finally compelled to express my disagreement.  I hike with the
Vasque Clarion Lights (with waterproofing on the leather), poly liner
socks, wool socks, and when at all necessary gaitors.  Last spring I went
on a 4-day hike on the AT in Virginia.  I survived over 30 creek
crossings one day and 6 inches of snow another day.  My feet never got
wet.  My attitude was "if the water doesn't get over the top of my boots,
my feet won't get wet".  I was right.  Yes waterproofing wears off and on
my 3 month AT trip this summer I will be aware of that.  But I'm a happy
camper with what I've got and I would recommend it to others.

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu     "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	     and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  ROOM!                    many people as I wish."    |
|danieljg@rice.edu  (713) 630-8678  	     SRRDFAFTSNMPWETSUBOHICA    |