Re: Boots

I would agree with Ray Jardine's conclusions except for one point which you
didn't mention.  Running shoes will not protect you from an ankle injury the
way hiking boots will.  I have mis-stepped many times while on the trail and
rolled my foot putting strain on my ankle, but I never suffered an ankle
injury.  This may not have been the case if I was wearing my running shoes
and I would hate to have to continue a hike with a sprained ankle.  I wear my
running shoes for ankle conditioning prior to the hike.  I'm sure reducing
weight on the feet increases speed just as reducing pack weight increases
speed, since one pound on the feet is equivalent to six pounds on the back.

Hood Ornament