Re: birds on AT

  I was just in Phoenix.  The Hotel i stayed at had an herb garden on
  the grounds that the restuarant staff had made, had a bench nice
  place to relax, while I was there I was taken with the number of
  birds singing and carrying on, definitely more than I am used to in
  my suburb in Virginia, I think the comments are rigth about the
  smaller song bird population on the AT.  Also in the last 6 months I
  remember seeing a PBS special about the declining song bird
  population on the east coast.  Not being a birder I can't comment
  further on the phenomenon, due remember that scientists are no
  perplexed by the cause.  Suggested that farmers not plough every
  square inch of their land but leave small stands of trees on the
  land for bird habitat.  Maybe more informed people on list who can
  comment further.

  lindel