Re: dehydrating food

Well I am a vegetarian myself and am into food drying. What kind of
manual did you get with your dehydrator? Ours has some pretty useful info
and some recipies. My faveourite thing to make however, are fruit
leathers. I use any kinds of fruit I like (bannana's ,strawberries, kiwi
etc) and blend them in a blender, sometimes adding honey or chopped nuts
or coconut. Then I pour the mix over the little plastic tray for making
fruit leathers, give it time to dry to the consistency I like, and voila!
Perfect food!
I would recomend that if you try dehydrating vegetables, that you stick
away from vege's with a high water content, like carrots or celery. They
are ok, but i found them to be very unappitizing.  If you like adding
spice to your food, try drying peppers and onion and herbs and making
some different mixes to add to any pre-packed hikers food you may intend
to eat. Certainly adds to otherwise bland repetitive food.
If you have any other questions or recipie requests, just say so......!
I can't believe I have raved for so long, but I have to mention my
husband's dried apples!  He peels and cores apples, then slices them to
about a quater inch or so, then simmers them in a solution of water with
a little cinnamon, sugar and honey in them. (for about a half an hour)
The dried results are sooo good! By themselves, in trail mix, in oatmeal,
desserts etc etc,
ok i have raved enough now, hope this helps!
anna:)
Walkabout GE-->ME '94-->?