Re: Purifying Water

-- [ From: Joe O'Neill * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

CLIPPED

> Do water purification tablets work as effectively as a filter system
> (such as Sweetwater)?
>
> I can see myself filling up my water bottle mid day and dropping a
few
> tablets in it and then continue walking while the stuff purifies - it
> seems faster than a filter and I can save the use of the filter (and
the
> life of the cartridge) for at camp...Is this a common practice and/or
> good idea as far as having healthy water goes?

Andy,

Thought you might be interested in a query/response I found on a
Prodigy:

Board: HOBBIES
Topic: CAMP/HIKE/BACKPACK
Subject: WATER PURIFICATION

To: ALL
From: BRUCE AKERS    (SEPG34A)

Time: 01/20    10:16 PM

I recently saw a program, Popular Mechanics, a weekly show.
 They interviewed an AT thru hiker about his experience and
the equipment that he used.  When asked about water
purification he pulled out a bandana and a bottle with a
medicine dropper containing clorine.  He indicated to the
show's host that that is what he used for his entire trip.
I was wondering how effective his simple treatment system
would really be.  I'm no chemist and was wondering  if his
system really was safe and effective.

Bruce

PRODIGY(R) interactive personal service - Date: 02/14 Time:  7:53
AMBoard: HOBBIES
Topic: CAMP/HIKE/BACKPACK